I consider this a great cheater recipe. One that can easily be made on a weeknight and still be in bed in time for a good night sleep.
The base is going to be the same as other chicken soups, but the dumpling is really the cheater part of it. Instead of making your own dough, use a tube of store bought biscuit dough cut into smaller pieces that will puff up and take in all of the chicken flavor of the broth. Easy on the weeknight and the kids LOVE it!
Easy Chicken Dumpling Soup
- 3 Tbls butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cooked and shredded chicken breasts
- 32 oz chicken broth or stock
- 1/2 tsp parsley, oregano, thyme or preferred herb combination
- 1 tube buttermilk biscuits, each biscuit quartered
- Melt butter in large stock pot over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, carrots and celery. Cook for 5 minutes until sweated out.
- Pour chicken broth and chicken in and bring to a slow boil. Add herbs and biscuits and continue cooking for another 20 minutes until the biscuits are cooked thru. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with cooked biscuits. Enjoy!