We have had peaks of a little warmth over the last month, but mother nature is surely telling us right now that it is still winter. What was needed was something that would warm from within and this soup was it!
I am excited when I get to use my immersion blender - it made this soup so creamy. The earthy richness of the sweet potato and carrots combined with the little kick that cumin gives and the sharpness of the shaved Parmesan, made this a fun soup to make and mainly to eat.
It was also a great reheatable soup and was perfect for lunches during the workweek. The funny part of this was that it looked like I brought baby food to work when I was having lunches that week. But who really cares, when it tastes this good.
Sweet Potato & Carrot Soup
- 1 Tbls olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 32 oz chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- Parmesan shavings for garnish
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes until translucent. Add garlic and cook another 30 seconds. Add the sweet potatoes and carrots. Salt and pepper the veggies and saute for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken stock and cumin. Bring to a boil and let simmer for another 20 minutes. When root vegetables are cooked thru, blend soup with a hand held immersion blender. Taste soup - add salt, pepper or more cumin to taste.
- If you don't have an immersion blender, use a standard blender blending about 1/3 to 1/2 at a time and then mixing back together.
- Shave Parmesan cheese on top for serving.