Daily cooking can sometimes find you wanting more - not to say that the food is bad, but things get repetitive, you long for something that is different. This day was one of those days.
Trying to make the dinner just a little different, I breaded the chicken with the simple 3 bowl process and made a sweet and savory sauce to go with it.
Topping it then with goat cheese and a side of risotto, our dinner was complete.
Breaded Chicken with Cherry Date Compote
- Cooking oil
- 2 lbs chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Salt & pepper
- 5 oz dried cherries
- 4 oz dried chopped dates
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Crumbled goat cheese
- Heat 2 Tbls oil in a large skillet. Use three bowls to coat the chicken breasts strips. In the first bowl, place the flour seasoned with salt and pepper. In the second bowl, beat the egg. In the last bowl, put the panko bread crumbs.
- Dredge the chicken strips threw the bowls in that order to coat. Cook in oil until chicken is cooked thru and crust is golden brown, approx 7-8 minutes. Make sure to turn to cook all sides.
- While prepping the chicken, start making the compote. Heat a sauce pan over medium to med-high heat. Add cherries, dates, brandy water and vanilla and simmer until the alcohol cooks thru and the sauce is reduced.
- Serve chicken with Risotto or rice, top with compote and crumbled goat cheese.
*Recipe from the kitchen of Experimental Spoon!