There was something in the air on Sunday...you know what it was?
That's right ...it was snow! I am torn on the subject right now. I love snow because it makes everything seem soft and beautiful all wrapped up in a white blanket, but sometimes after Christmas is over, it's more like, 'Stop snowing! I want spring!'
With the sentiment 'Think Spring' I decided to make these sweet treats packed with lemon and dusted with powdered sugar - Lemon Bars - Yum! Yum! Yum! I have made these before, so there wasn't much new with experimenting, but realized when looking through the archives that I haven't posted about this and that seemed quite wrong for a sweet treat that is so right.
I found the recipe from Barefoot Contessa and true to form, it is amazingly tasty, between the creamy lemon topping, to the buttery crust, and even to the little bit of caramelization of the sugar to the top of the lemon mixture - This is a hit! I've been snacking on them since Sunday and I dare say, they are even better the next day!
If you like lemon, you NEED to have this recipe!
- 1/2 lb unsalted butter (2 sticks), at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- Pinch Kosher Salt
Lemon Filling Ingredients:
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs, whisked and at room temperature
- 2 Tbls lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice, juice of approx 4-6 lemons
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- Powdered sugar for dusting the top
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter a 13x9 baking pan.
- Using a stand mixer, combine room temperature butter and sugar and cream till smooth.
- Sift flour and salt together in a separate bowl. With the paddle attachment on low speed, slowly work the flour into the butter/ sugar mixture.
- Using your hands, work the dough into a ball and push out on the buttered baking sheet. This step will take some patience.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until only lightly brown. Pull out of the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- In a clean bowl, combine eggs, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and flour and whisk until fully incorporated. Pour over top of crust.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until filling is set. Let cool to room temperature. Dust with Powdered Sugar and cut into triangles, squares or small bite size pieces.
*Recipe from Barefoot Contessa Food Network Site.