There are some foods that for some reason make me feel European, or international, or really, just fancier than a Midwesterner who likes her cheese. This is one of those dishes. With the rich creaminess of the Camembert cheese, the crunch of a fresh apple slice and goldened bread and the sweet flavor or the mango, apple sandwich spread, it's not hard to imagine myself sitting on a cobblestone patio sipping on an espresso and enjoying my Camembert & Apple Panini. ...Ok, part of this may be because I am really wishing for summer and some warmer weather right now, too. It doesn't matter the time of year or whether your in your kitchen or in France...this sandwich is GOOD!!!
Ingredients: (feeds about 6 people)
- 1 Loaf French bread, sliced into 1/2 inch slices
- 3-4 oz Camembert Cheese, cut into thin slices, with or without rind removed, your preference
- 1 Apple, sliced thinly, Granny Smith used here
- Mango & Apple Sandwich Spread
- Butter, room temperature
- Warm your panini machine to medium heat setting.
- While panini machine is heating up, slice bread and butter the outsides lightly, cut thin slices of the cheese and apples. Spread about 1-2 tsp of sandwich spread on one of the insides of each sandwich.
- When panini machine is warm, layer first piece of bread with the spread, butter side down on the panini, then add cheese and 2 slices of apple. Place the other piece of french bread on top of the apple, butter side up to touch panini machine top. Assemble as many panini's as fit your machine (most would fit all six at one time). Set the lid down on top of sandwiches evenly.
- Cook the panini's for 5-10 minutes. Time will vary based on how quickly your machine cooks and how well you like the outsides of your panini.
Misc Tips & Tricks on this one:
- Brie Cheese can be substituted for Camembert. They are very similar in texture and flavor. Camembert won when I made these because it was on sale. :)
- Any sweet flavored sandwich spread or jam would do with this sandwich. What ever you are in the mood for can work. Keep it sweet and it will melt in your mouth.
- Last, if you don't have a panini machine, turn this from a panini to a grilled cheese and heat until one side is golden and flip on the other side till golden.