I know that I said this week was going to be dedicated to grilling and all that fun, and although, this isn't anything that is directly grilled, this is something that will instantly enhance any grilled meat to an almost professional level. And, it's super simple! It's a Shallot Herb Butter Roll....
First, pour about a cup of red wine into a sauce pan and heat at medium. Add chopped shallots. Simmer slightly for 7-10 minutes until mixture is reduced and the shallots have absorbed much of the wine flavor. It is important to use the same wine that you would drink normally and not buy a cheaper bottle for this prep. Same goes for whenever you are cooking with wine. The better flavor of wine, the better the end flavor of the food.
Remove shallots from the wine and let cool.
In a bowl combine room temperature butter, cooled shallots and chopped herbs. Stir until all ingredients have combined. Spoon mixture onto a piece of wax paper and roll up into a log form, twisting the ends to tighten.
Refrigerate to chill for at least 1 hour before serving. Serve by slicing off approximately 1 tablespoon size piece of butter and place over grilled steak. Let butter melt at least half way and coat steak before eating.
Butter Roll can be stored in a zip-lock bag in the fridge until it is used up...my guess is it won't last long!
Herb Butter Roll
- 1 stick salted sweet cream butter, at room temperature
- 3 medium size shallots, chopped
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 tsp total of a combination of your favor fresh chopped herbs: rosemary, basil, thyme, oregano, etc. - I used fresh rosemary and sage.
- Heat red wine in saucepan at medium heat. Add chopped shallots until wine has reduced until almost gone. Remove shallots from wine and let cool.
- Combine shallots and all other ingredients in bowl and mix together until incorporated.
- Spoon unto wax paper and roll into log.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or until serving a slice over your steak.
Happy Cooking!...oops...I mean...Happy Grilling!!!