Whether you are looking for a recipe to cook for a simple or formal brunch, this recipe will not disappoint. It is simple to put together, you can sip some coffee while it’s baking and your family or guests will not leave a speck behind.
This recipe can be made exact to ingredients or is great to use up left over veggies, cheeses or diced chicken or ham.
Spinach & Asiago Frittata
- ½ Cup cooked brown rice or a pre-made pie crust (which ever you prefer)
- 1 Tbls olive oil
- 1 Cup onion, chopped
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 5-ounce bagged salad spinach
- 2 small roasted red peppers, drained and chopped to make ¾ cup
- 5 large eggs
- 1 Cup Asiago cheese, shredded
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Oil or spray a 9-inch pie pan and crumble rice over the bottom, or use a pre-made refrigerated pie crust, or skip the crust altogether.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick pan over medium high heat. Saute the onions until soft and golden, approximately 5 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, and basil and stir for 1 minute. Add spinach and toss to wilt.
- Remove from heat and scrap the mixture into a large bowl. Stir in red peppers and let cool for 5 minutes.
- While cooling, crack eggs and whip to break yolks. When spinach mixture is cooled, add eggs, half of the cheese and salt and stir. Pour into prepared pie pan.
- Sprinkle on the remaining cheese. Bake 20-25 minutes (less if crustless) until set and slightly puffed in the center.
- Let cool slightly and serve warm or cold.